- Documentation Topics
- This is a complete list of all the documentation available for AcmeBase. It
includes the help files and other documents, some of which are also listed
below. It includes program documentation and a list of the AcmeBase schema
files used to construct forms and lists in the example database. The bullets
in front of each topic are links which can be used to view the file's source
- AcmeBase Search Instructions
- Searching the database, whether its from the main console or from lookup
form fields, is easy and powerful. The AcmeBase Searcher looks at your search
string to determine which database columns to search. If the search looks like
a name (with pattern matching characters) the name field is searched. If it
looks like an ID number, it looks up the record ID. If the search looks like
a phone number, the phone number columns are searched, and so on. Searches
can also be little mini-scripts, prompting for parameters and joining other
tables. This help document describes how to talk to the Searcher.
- AcmeBase Forms
- AcmeBase forms are enhanced to assist data entry.
Data can be entered with the keyboard's number pad using the
key to go to the next field. Dates can be entered many different ways, and
audit trails can be called up from the form. This document tells how.
- AcmeBase Properties
- This is currently the primary documentation of AcmeBase. It lists the
AcmeBase properties used to describe your SQL database. AcmeBase is constructed
from text files of property names and their values. It is a simple format
and this document describes the syntax and lists the AcmeBase properties
used to describe a database, its forms, lists, and its relationships.
- AcmeBase Names
- AcmeBase uses a naming convention to refer to the same information
element in different realms (or name spaces). This document describes how
a form field name translates to a Perl variable name and to a SQL database
table's column name.
- AcmeBase Files
- This document diagrams the AcmeBase files and how they are organized.
- AcmeBase Programs
- This document describes some conventions used to write AcmeBase programs
such as setting up error reporting and security checks. It also lists other
programs and libraries the AcmeBase programs depend on being present on
- AcmeBase Security
- Access to all AcmeBase programs and to database tables and columns
is controlled by user security settings in an access configuration file.
This document describes how to restrict access to users and user groups.